Friday, February 13, 2015

Israeli sculptor Dror Heymann discusses his creative process.




My work is about people. It can be a smile. It can be a moment. It can be a wrinkle. It can be a line or it can be a broken piece. Or just a moment that I don't know how I got there but I found it and then I... the sculpture start to grow from there. Usually I leave those moments there and I build everything around it.

Its like I'm building and breaking and building, breaking, until I see something that I feel is precious and then I let it grow from there.

I believe in work directly from life and from imagination.

When you do something your drawing or writing or your singing that you have actually, your not in a particular time zone, you just sinking into your activity.

When your doing a head that is exact life size it feels smaller and I wanted it to be monumental to be bigger, Ive found it is a very good scale. You can still believe it is a person even though it is over sized. When you look at it you think its big but you get used to it very quick.

Lots of time I work on something and I find something that is familiar, something that is not a particular person that I sculpt, its a global feeling or effect that people can recognize everywhere in any person.

The beginning was supposed to be the sketch for the modern Moses. It has changed to become...
I like it how you have different kind of mood. From one side he's smiling. From one side he is upset. A bit in the dream world.

It could be that it started as a bit of a rebellious way that a lot of artists use life as their medium, they dont appreciate it or can not sculpt with their hands and don't understand actually you transform something of you into the piece.

If you have the confidence and you believe in what your subconscious tell you and that your not going to fuck it and its going to be beautiful. You just flow with it. Its like your going to feel it before you understand it.

Lady 1: "I want to say some words about Dror. What I first experienced when seeing these extraordinary pieces in the gallery. You feel in theses amazing busts the profound intelligence of the people who are being portrayed, you feel the death, the magnitude of who Moses actually was.

Lady 2: "Your in the presence of something really deep and real and... you know you see a great play orits a great work of art."

Here is Dror Heymann's WordPress 
------

If you enjoyed this article tell Google you did as well and +1 it. Or give it an upvote if your from Reddit






No comments:

Post a Comment